Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Apology To You All

I had the following comment sent by Friko at Friko's Musings to one of my posts and I wanted to single it out for a more formal reply. It deserves some addressing to many of you.

"I come across your photo in the followers column of many, many bloggers. Some interesting ones, some ordinary ones, some photographic sites, and many of no particular focus. I am curious to learn what makes you pick one blog over another. I have visited your blog and left appreciative comments from time to time, even followed for a while, but you have never reacted. I'm sure there's nothing personal, after all, bloggers don't really know each other at all. It would still interest me how people choose the sites to look at. I've recently written a post on blogging and I would like to explore the subject further. Congratulations on a very successful blog."

Fricko

First let me say, I am sorry I did not acknowledge your appreciative comments. That is really the most important thing I want to say here and I am glad I can address this a bit because I am horribly neglegent in this area. Truth is, ... I am receiving far too many positive responses to answer with individual Thank You's to everyone. I just can't keep up with all the kind comments and that is why I periodically thank everyone in my written posts. I am very serious and DO want to thank every member personally but I typically don't respond to them individually UNLESS a specific question is asked ... and sometimes this takes days based on my schedule. Many people write personal comments to my email address asking for advice for oppinions. It does take time but I DO respond to each of them if it is needed. Either way, I KNOW this is an area I am weak in handling but I must take care of so many things as I travel. I am not trying to make excuses in any way but I really don't know how to handle this personally every time. BUT I am glad you brought it up so I could at least address it here. Thank you Fricko and my heartfelt appologies. Es tut mir leid. Mein Deutsche ist sehr schlecte.

Now, as to how I chose the sites that I look at. Wow! Probably many other people wonder how that nutty NikonSniper ended up here. Well, I do not own a television any more. I was bored with it and it generally depressed me. I was a notorious channel flipper when we owned a TV. I probably watched segments of 15 shows in 30 minutes.

I can say that the root of what I look for in a blog begins with photography ... but from there it carries into so many hobbies and interests I have no way of knowing exactly what got me to where I was when I have hit on another 20 sites to explore. I believe photography is the best of hobbies because no matter what your hobby is ... you will probably want photos of it (unless "thinking" is your hobby). I often enjoy the photos in a site even though it has nothing to do with photography. I might see someone who is stark raving bonkers for handcrafts, cooking and jewelry and love looking at how they chose to photograph them. Lots of other times I have joined the blogs of those who have chosen to follow NikonSniper. And I may end up discovering their friends listed on their blogs. You see I doubt I can help you much with specific methodology. I am a channel flipper I guess.

Thank you for your kind comments and I hope to be forgiven by the hundreds that leave comments wondering if I read them. I DO! And am so thankful for all of you. I just know I need to spend more time shooting than anything because that's where I find peace and quiet in my life. I hear nature speak to me. I am trying to record as much as I can photographically in order to keep a high volume of different subjects coming to NikonSniper. The actual blogging part of this is by far the most difficult and time consuming aspect. To me, the fun is in the firing shots. The work is the blog. If it was all blogging I wouldn't do it at all.

On another note, ... there have been several who have sent personal emails requesting my oppinion of why there are so many followers. I can't say for sure but I will venture a guess for those of you who wish to expand your follower base.
Reason #1 to me is getting on to others blogs and trying to encourage what it is that I like with comments. It is that old thing that the postman said a hundred years ago ... if you want letters - send letters. This is the most important thing. I believe there is no substitute for time in building a blog.

Other possible factors that may help are as follows:
a. I mix my photos up from all over the place. I want to spread color, subject and special effects. I like the fact that when you scroll down on the front page ... you have no idea what you will see from one photo to the next and I constantly look for new subjects to bring into the mix so I can do this even better.
b. I don't under estimate a neutral color (shade of grey) in a background. Aqua is a beautiful color but portrait photos or earth tones may or may not show up well with an aqua border. Some will, some won't! Black is my background of choice because I believe it shows all photos to be better in this form of media.
c. I am nearly brain dead now and pop-ups nearly make my head explode. I know they can earn you money (which is nice) but I am trying to create a place that is simple and about photography. I am looking for ways to add better organizing and even some cool movement without having 15 things pop up in your face.
d. Why are my photos smaller than what most people want to see? It allows you to scroll down and see what the next photo looks like. YES, all of these photos look better if you click on them to make them larger but some will have no interest to you and you can usually see that you are not interested with the smaller version. It may be the the next photo you will spend time looking at.
e. I don't write a lot! I spend time giving each photo a title but usually that's all I say. My photos mean different things to each of you. I don't want to cloud out what a photo means to you by explaining what every photo means to me. I let you do that for yourself. In doing so ... it is your comments that are actually the majority of the text in this blog. When I do write ... It is usually about my faith in Christ which matters more to me than my next breath. I am aware this bothers some people but I am certainly not willing to keep my mouth shut about Jesus! Some dear encouraging people have quit following because of my expressed words of faith and I respect them for their decision. But as for me and my blog ... we shall serve the Lord! God bless.

All the best. NikonSniper Steve

32 comments:

Tuula said...

I came from Finland to see how your blog looks like. You really have many followers, I want to congratulate you because of that!

And I thank You for this latest article, it makes me easier to understand how You even found my blog. That "TV-thing" explains everything. So many channels here in blogistania and so many interesting issues.

But now I'm gonna look around for a while and just enjoy Your photos.
Have a nice weekend and thank You for visiting ice cold Finland ^_^

Sean said...

I have always seen photography blogging as going to a museum. Rarely do I meet the artist at the museum (I've been to SF MOMA 4 or 5 times and never met the artists of the work). Photo blogging really is for the viewing and just like at a museum, the comments section is for the viewers to interact. I've often stood at a painting or photo at a museum and discussed it with the person standing next to me. That's what I do in the comments here - share my opinion.
--
So, just for the record, I've never really minded whether you comment - here or on my blogs or anywhere else. When I visit a photo blog I'm there for the experience of taking in Art - much like I do at a museum except with your blog I can do it in my pajamas while drinking hot chocolate.

~JarieLyn~ said...

I have often wondered that about you myself.

Very well said.

Together We Save said...

You are so right... we all have followers and commenters that we never mention. I am making a commentment to comment all of my followers at least once every 2 weeks.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

And one needs to remember that many people read and do not comment for one reason or another but the interest is still there.

Jennifer said...

No need to apologize here, with so many followers I can understand why you couldn't always keep up. I have but a mere fraction of followers and I find it really difficult at times! I don't always respond to comments as much as I want and intend too on my own blog. I do try!

Besides even though I really enjoy seeing all your beautiful photos I don't take the time to comment on each one. :) There just isn't enough time in the day sometimes!

Love your blog!

@eloh said...

For MONTHS I have been thinking of poking you with an e-mail and asking a similar question. Just last night... last night!!! I did mention my ABSOLUTE FASCINATION in the comments section of someone's blog.

How in the sam hill do you get everywhere...and I mean everywhere... well now I know.

I can start out googling a subject in the most obscure way... but when I get there...who do I see...yep Stephen Baird is there keeping a spot warm with the tea on and waiting...

You, my talented photo friend, are an ACE traveler on land and throughout the internet.

I have a secret pleasure of finding good blogs and becoming a follower BEFORE you get there...but you always do...sooner rather than later.

I, for one, say you have excellent taste in blogs.

Thank you for solving "the mystery" and saving me from bothering you with a strange e-mail.

Oh, and I dearly love your photos.

Jennifer said...

I think you do a fine job managing this blogging thing and I'm glad to have become a follower of Nikon Sniper. Truth is, I can't look and comment every time you post, but when I do and when I can, I enjoy it every single solitary time!

Thanks for sharing yourself, ultimately that is what we are all doing here and we all feel a sense of gratification when someone takes the time to appreciate that!

You also seem to be a pretty sensitive person, truly caring about the work you do and the influence you have on others. I think that is pretty darn awesome

Joyfully yours,
Jennifer

Ashley Hugo said...

I comment on your blog every now and then, I (Really) enjoy reading your blog and I love your photo's.
You are a follower of my blog and I thank you for that. The fact you don't usually comment doesn't bother me at all because you have nearly 2000 followers, how could you keep up-to-date with all those blogs, let alone comment on them.
You have a great blog and keep it up.
Ash

NikonSniper said...

@eloh,
thank you because i am laughing ... "sam hill"? wow! i haven't heard from sam hill in about 20-30 years. that is great. hope he is doing well.
nikonsniper steve

Sharon Wagner said...

Followers and their comments are definately what makes blogging fun.

Gigi Ann said...

Well, I am one of those who likes to leave a comment once in a while. When something is so beautiful and amazing, I just can't leave without saying so. I hope I don't wear you out with my silly little comments.


How did I find your blog? You left your little picture in my followers box one day, and since I have an enquiring mind, I checked to see who you are, and what your little blog was all about. I have come back to visit almost every day since. Have I told you, I like your blog?

nanny said...

I don't expect a return comment from any blog that I comment on....I love looking at your pictures and I will tell you that...no response needed! Blogging is time consuming.
I do like to read tips on making great pictures...so just share it you so feel like it!!
Have a great day.
Nanny

Karen said...

I chuckled at your analogy of channel flipping and hoe you choose blogs.

I comment to let you know I was here and what I appreciated about the visit.

Keetha Broyles said...

Very interesting! You found my blog first and that is how I found yours. You not only began following me, (wait - - - that sounds stalkerish, but being a blogger I think you know what I mean - - -) but you left me a comment. That brought me here to see who you were.

True - - - I haven't heard much out of you since, but that's OK.

Julie said...

I love your blog and all your wonderful photos from all over the place. I follow many blogs and read them all even though I don't always comment. Looking forward to more fab photo from the Nikon Sniper.

Blue Creek Home said...

I have been a follower of yours for a while now and I don't know that I have ever commented. But, that's not to say that I don't enjoy your fabulous photography pretty much every day!!!
Lovin' the captions you choose.

Blogging etiquette is hard!

Rhonda

Memories Of Mine said...

Time spend behind the camera is the most enjoyable part of the photo making process.

I really enjoy the photos and places you display here on your blog.

The Muse said...

anyone can follow...i think one must be more compelled to comment.

not that all comments are great...or that all followers who don't comment are lackluster.

we just have to decide our own reason for blogging. for populace adulation or for self satisfaction.

(this humble Muse's opinion)

TSL said...

Dear Stephen,
With as many followers as you have, and with as many comments as you receive, I don't see how it is possible to respond to everyone. Life is very demanding these days, and time is fleeting amongst the demands.

Keep taking photos, that's why we are here.
Best wishes.

Pugelicious said...

What a thoughtful post. I am relatively new to blogging, I was not aware that it was manner to answer each comment. I thought it was just up to the individual to comment on something they liked if they wished too. I dont have many followers, but I will take more effort to answer them after reading this.

Jason, as himself said...

It is a tricky thing to pay proper attention to the blogosphere, isn't it? I'm sure there are plenty of people that I have neglected, too. And, I have been neglected, as well.

Don and Krise said...

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I expect nothing from blogging. I don't want anyone to ever feel as though they have to follow my blog or that they'll hurt my feelings if they don't comment. I thoroughly appreciate every follower and every comment, but I know that I have followers that never comment but still evidently find my blog at least somewhat entertaining or enjoyable. It's the same with your blog. I enjoy most all of your photos. Some I particularly like I comment on. I never expect you to answer back. I just want you to know when you have put something out there that caught my eye for one reason or another. I think you feel somewhat like I do, that photography helps strike a balance in life. Keep up the good work Steve and I'll keep on coming back. ;-)

Don and Sher said...

No need to apologize you are busy. I don't expect a response when I comment and many comments don't need a follow up comment. I read many blogs and never comment and I can tell the same on my blog by the number of hits I have followers that never comment. I enjoy looking at others work.

Keep shootin'
Don

Anonymous said...

Stephen,
You have left me a comment way back in the summer about my pink rose photos...I appreciate your thoughts. It's okay not to comments every time...but if I sees something I really enjoy...I'm going to comments...no comments require back...But i do know everyone loves comments...It's bring encouragement to them...By the way...love your photos...They are awesome...Thanks again for follow my blog...

Heckety said...

What you say makes sense. I leave you comments because your photos make me laugh, or reminded me of something, or I thought it beautiful or unusual or...or...and sometimes I just feel like teasing you (especially if I've followed a particularly gushy comment! Hey! I'm Irish! Its what we do!)
I'd much rather you kept photographing and posting, I don't mind lack of acknowledgements, I just visit your place to see your world.

Lucy said...

It's difficult to respond to our comments, give comments to other sites, do a Blog Post and work full time. I get it! I try to do it too and fail!

James Parker said...

Very interesting, Indeed. You have a humongous blog, and I see it could be a time vampire. But your blog deserves a big following, because your photography is extraordinarily exquisite. Thanks for visiting, stop by anytime, and check WOW for a laugh or two. Thanks, again.

Cheryl said...

I am just pleased to know that you DO read all of our comments!

Scott Law said...

Well I'm sure I must have hurt a lot of feelings. When I post a comment it is usually the same as when I applaud at a performance. I don't expect the performer to acknowledge me personally. I only expect him/her to continue to perform well. I don't know that I have ever gone back to a post where I have commented to see if there was a response, because I have never expected one. Also, and this is may be where I have unknowingly shown bad manners, I rarely respond to comments. I do if a question is asked or something like that but that is all. I didn't know I was expected to.
I doubt that I will change my habits because it seems to be working fine for me.

Bake Teleco said...

Todos los componentes de Los EspĂ­ritus de Haddock, damos la bienvenida como nuevo seguidor a Stephen Baird; celebramos que seas el seguidor nĂºmero 100 y esperamos que nuestro blog te ayude a entretenerte en esos momentos de soledad y te aporte algo en tus composiciones fotogrĂ¡ficas.

All components of the Spirits of Haddock, welcome as a new follower Stephen Baird, celebrate that you are the follower number 100 and we hope our blog will help entertain you during those moments of solitude and you bring something in your photographic compositions.

Judy said...

What?! You didn't create this blog so I could see fall and snow and a myriad of places I've never visited? *g* Thank you for sharing your talent and your faith that inspires me and brings a smile no matter how difficult the day. You're a blessing in my life.