Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rain On ... L-A



Well, I'm back in Chicago now and caught up on sleep late on Saturday. Thanks for coming along on that quick trip to Los Angeles with me. Over the past months, many of you asked or wondered just exactly what is it that I do that has me jumping around the country so much. Well, ... I will give you the short version. Perhaps, Zack Braffton, will chime in with his several versions of what I do for a living.

For 23 years, I have worked for a wonderful company ... named Web Printing Controls in Illinois. That's right, I am not a photographer. I do believe I have many shots of quality ... however, I do not earn a living doing photography. Real short, ... WPC is involved in the engineering, manufacturing and support of electronic printing controls that essentially reduce ink and paper waste and improve the quality of print on web offset printing presses ... that is the big presses, ... not office copy machines. Web Printing Controls was a "green" company before being green was cool. Isn't that like being "country" before being country was cool?

Anyway, I have had several careers within our company including mechanical engineering, technical sales support, and sales administration. These careers at WPC had me travel many years all over the USA, Canada, Europe and Australia.

In June of 2009, I became the Technical Sales Rep for the Western USA. So, as I travel from one customer to another in the West, I hang a camera out the car window. Since June 2009, I have logged 22,500 miles of highway driving in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona. There's the quick answer as to why there are very sudden jumps in my photography opportunities. What a beautiful country to photograph between sales visits.

11 comments:

Dawning Inspiration said...

Both being "green" and "country" are too cool for words! ha ha

Great job - and fabulous opportunities to travel and capture such beautiful images! So glad you share them with us!

Patrinas Pencil said...

Thanks Steve for sharing that! I savor your little tidbits :)

raining?

Blessings,
Patrina <:)>><

Katherine said...

Thanks Steve... I too am enjoying your blog entries...since finding your blog, I find myself returning each day to see what's new!
I would Love your job!

Heckety said...

Sounds like a perfect job for you- I think jobs should allow one to have worthwhile hobbies too, if they are too stressful and too demanding life ceases to be enjoyable...my hub has nothing outside his job, and my Dad was the same. Quality is as important as earning a living, but heck of a lot of folk don't have that privelegde- it shouldn't even be a priveledge, it should be normal.
End of rant!

Rose said...

MMMM, I wonder,,,,,you need an assistant? Lol.

Nel said...

What a wonderful opportunity! Can you imagine if we did not have the convenience of digital. I am just getting started with my DSLR but I love it. Enjoy your pictures!

until next time... nel

ShEiLa said...

It is so cool that you have such an awesome job that allows for travel and that it was green before green was popular.

WE sure have been benefactors in your digital catches.

ToOdLeS.

Don and Krise said...

I think I speak for many when I say we wish you nothing but safe travels, successful business and tons of photo ops.

Bogaman said...

Thus, it's a passion. X.

NikonSniper said...

rose,
i am finding that i am getting 2-3 volunters for that position every week just in the town i live in. it's funny ... there is actually a lot of work and prep to this job. it's just that anytime i am not working i am doing something photography related.
nikonsniper steve

Pinecone Camp said...

All I can say is you could make a living as a photographer. Your compositions are fabulous.