Tuesday, March 16, 2010

WOW!

4:04 am, Los Angeles. I was just shaken awake by what I thought was someone grabbing the bottom of my bed and shaking it up and down. I went down the hall to the reception desk at the Comfort Inn in Monterey Park and I looked at the night clerk who is usually asleep and said, Did something just happen? Yes, he replied. That was an earthquake.
I went back to my room and called Braff Zackton who was already at work in Chicago. Braff ran his earthquake search that he does every 30 minutes and informed me that I just rode a 4.4 in the Greater Los Angeles Area at 4:04am. It seems no one else is alarmed but me! That is completely whack and a first for me.
-----
9:20am update
I just got back from breakfast a few minutes ago. Still no one was talking about this event. It's the most reported event in a while on the Did You Feel It? web site. Rare breed these Californians. It's like ... the whole L-A area got up and went for a drive on the I-5 in a bumpy Rambler Station Wagon at 4am for no reason ... and nobody even talks about it. That is crazy.
I literally thought there was someone in my room picking up the bottom of the bed and clipping it to the lift on a Six Flags grade roller coaster. Isn't there a T-Shirt for this kinda thing?
-----
You might ask ... Why would I would call someone in Chicago about an Earthquake in California? Well, here's a little more background on Braff Zackton you may like to read.
-----
4:07pm update
OK, OK ... some of you have suggested that I was probably scared. C'mon! Me? No way! I eat this stuff up and spit it out.
OK well, the truth is ... I haven't slept since. I keep thinking I am feeling the ground shake again and now I am on the fourth floor of a building near LAX airport. And I will say that I couldn't sleep probably due to my sobbing like a baby. That kinda made it hard to settle down. Can't wait till the wheels are up at the end of the runway tomorrow morning.
-----
For those of you interested ... here is an Earthquake Article from this mornings excitement.

25 comments:

Lokum Hanim said...

And me!!! It was shaking too much and noisy!!! I was afraid !

Linn said...

Wow. We live in Southern Indiana and I remember the "tremor" we had last year. I can't imagine a 4.4. What a wake up call huh?

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Wow!
Nothing like waking up to your world Rockin!

That would of been a first for me to!
Now get your hiney home!Lol
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what happened to me the first and ever time I felt the tremors of an earthquake. I was asleep at the time, too. I was awakened by the bed moving. It IS an alarming feeling!

Kay said...

yip. welcome to cali... :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

scary stuff :(

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were just talking about how many earthquakes there have been all over the world lately... it's scarey, actually.

Suse said...

WOW! The pacific is a busy bubbling place right now, we had a tremor down this way 2 days ago.

Anonymous said...

I read about the 4.4 in L.A. this morning. You finally got to experience it!
Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts/feelings on your earth-shaking experience.
Stay safe - praying for ya,
Deb

Rose said...

Oh my gosh, I would be alarmed too! Glad you are safe and sound.

Cheryl Ann said...

Yup. I just heard about it on our local news. A 4.0 something. That's not too bad!

Oklahoma Granny said...

I've never experienced an earthquake although OK has had a few here lately. I'd just as soon not, thank you very much.

Lorilee said...

That would scare me silly!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

:-O


!!!

Sam and Lisa said...

I rode a quake on a Greek Island once and boy was I glad I was wearing brown trosers.

Nel said...

I can't imagine, and hope I never have too. Glad it was not a bigger one and you are safe!

until next time... nel

Unknown said...

With all the bad quakes around the world I would think that California would be a bit more worried. I think it's an indication of things to come. I don't believe in dooms day proficies but I do believe in natural disasters!

Bossy Betty said...

We live in California. Did we have a quake? I just thought it was the dog scratching against the bed again. Back to sleep!

Katherine said...

The earth is really speaking to us at the moment with all it's rumblings!
My husbands family live in Vina Del Mar in Chile & they were there to feel the big one. They were very fortunate to escape unscathed & their homes in tact.
Another friend of mine who is a principal at an international school in Japan also experienced her first earthquake last week.
I am so grateful I live in Australia... no earthquakes where I live!
You must have been scared wondering if there were any more to come.

Rena Jones said...

LOL @ your response. Having lived in SoCA all my life, I'm used to them. They're usually over before you know what they are. It's the aftershocks that are nerve wracking. Not that I moved away from them living in MT -- LOL! Hope you've calmed down, Stephen.

Meri said...

For earthquake vets, 4.4 is pretty minimal. It takes something larger than that to get them excited. I got pretty concerned during the 2001 Nisqually quake here in the Pacific NW. It registered 6.8 and did a whole lotta shaking. My dining room light fixture continued to sway for about three hours and my cats hid out for about 24 hours. The dog insisted on staying within 2 inches of my feet for hours.

NikonSniper said...

meri,
"4.4 is very minimal" ... do you hear yourself?
seriously, my bed rolled two miles down atlantic boulevard in monterey park. i pulled out to pass several other king size beds (without signaling) only to be stopped by a high flood curb at a gas station ... and everybody (like you) just rolls over and goes back to sleep. i guess i'm the crazy one. it's just me! i'm just not used to going to the mall in my dreams.
do you ever get up in the morning and have to go looking for your car?
terrified nikonsniper steve

NikonSniper said...

katherine,
oh, yes ... i was scared.
now if i was 25 ... i would lie to you because i was a fearless shell. now i am comfortable being a cry baby. in fact i enjoy it!
nikonsniper steve

Katherine said...

I would be right there crying with you Steve! Sounds too damn scary for me. I like a nice still earth beneath my feet!

Sadia said...

I can imagine your concerns and fears! Not something to be taken lightly whatever the scale! I remember yelling at my daughter not to kick my bed when I experienced a small tremor not so long ago.
It was very unnerving to find that she was fast asleep and I was not imagining!