Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Jacked Up For A Road Trip

OK, … so I gotta tell ya. I can’t keep quiet any longer.

I am quite jacked up about a vacation I will be taking next month with our son, Kyle. Kyle is going to graduate in Engineering with honors from Northern Illinois University. We are whacko proud.

Anyway, the day Kyle graduates, he and I will race to the airport and jump a late flight into Las Vegas. For the first time in my life I will see and photograph places like Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Grand Staircase, Paria Canyon Wilderness, Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Mexican Hat and Goosenecks State Park.

On the way back to Vegas we will stop at the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. In Vegas, I will be attempting to do a lot more night lights on the strip. My tripod weighs about 30 pounds so I have never taken it with me to Vegas. It will be making this trip because Kyle is crazy strong and I’m paying for the trip. Therefore, Kyle will lug the tripod for dear old Dad. We will use the tripod for those choice targets that need time to shoot.

I can’t believe that our luck hit a jackpot when we found out that we will be in Monument Valley on an evening with a full moon. Google pictures of “Monument Valley” and you will see why I am very excited about this trip. I could get lost in this spot alone for months. Hopefully we get a combination of clear and cloudy skies, maybe even some rain. Look on Google at the kind of photos you get when there is a storm front.

So, … I just had to tell you this news. Please stay tuned. I wish I could take you all with us on this trip. In a few days, I will announce another big surprise for one of my followers that should also be fun.

So, join us for the ride. I look forward to seeing this part of the USA. I can’t wait to capture some of the unique beauty that God splashed all over Southern Utah, Southern Nevada and Northern Arizona.

Have a great day!
NikonSniper Steve

14 comments:

Ruth said...

This is totally awesome. One of the places I loved besides all the ones you named is the Bellagio Hotel it has a indoor garden that is amazing. Enjoy.

Judy said...

How exciting!! And I'm soooo looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Montanagirl said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see your photos.

Barb said...

Wow, Steve, with all the amazing pics you take it stuns me that you've yet to do Zion and few those others!! You are going to have so much fun and we can live vicariously through you, so therefore we're going to have fun too! A win all round:)Congrats to Kyle, too.

Elaine said...

Sounds like a wonderful roadtrip with your son. You're bound to have some spectacular photos to share. So, is your son going to drive while you keep the camera clicking? Seems like it would be much safer that way.....

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

:) very happy for you and your son!

Molly said...

Great news, Steve. Have a fantastic trip. Congratulations on your boy's brilliant results. Considering I have hardly travelled a thirty or so miles in most of my life, I am so looking forward to travelling on this virtual trip too. And all those wonderful photos! Wow!

child of God said...

So excited for you and for us as we get to see all the new pics!! :)

Happy snapping.
<><

child of God said...

Oh yea, congrats to your son for graduating with honours, awesome! You must be proud.
<><

Unknown said...

Enjoy the trip and congrats to your son, very well done I know how much work is involved as my boy did a PHD and funny enough now works in Champaign Illinois for the natural history survey. Looking forward to your pics.

NikonSniper said...

elaine,
we'll see about the driving. kyle has acidently taught some of the most stupidly cool things with the camera. mostly because he doesn't have any predetermined ideas of how the camera is supposed to work cluttering his mind ... so everything in his head (not mine) is possible. kyle just trys stuff and sometimes it works incredibly well.
i have never told anyone this on this blog ... but the photo at the top of every blog page is kyle taking a picture of himself into a mirror. i altered his left eye in the photo to get a bit of a cyborg effect and i also altered the rgb channels a bit to twist the colors.
no matter who is driving the car i think the whole trip is about seeing stuff you have never seen before and the stories and memories that you talk about along the way. we will be chasing all over the place trying stuff with the camera. i am going to try and get a four wheel drive vehicle - just in case.
assume that if you see any of those photos showing up on the blog that the driver was taking pictures at 75 miles an hour ... it was me, not him.
nikonsniper steve

Pat said...

Congratulations on your son's graduation.

Your trip sounds exciting. We have been to several of those places; ALL are beautiful. You will take thousands of pictures I know. We stayed at a campground right in Monument Valley; there is a hotel there, too. I would recommend taking a tour with an Indian guide; they drive you into places that the public can't go. Have fun! I am looking forward to your photos!

WPgirl said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see the photographs.

Lynda said...

I googled it and it is beautiful! Don't you love that our children become our best friends for traveling? Congrats to him and Praise God for his hard work.