Thursday, September 22, 2011

From Parking Line To Job Line

I am clueless! But I am learning fast.
I didn't even know we had an Illinois Department of Employment Security office in my town. Well, ... just like the photo blood hound I am, ... I found it. No parking available. Hmmm, this is not a good sign.
There was a waiting line of cars to park! Honestly, I think I would have jumped a curb and parked on the grass if it weren't for the fact that the local police station is across the street. Your going to have to trust me that it wouldn't be the first time I did something like that.
I finally got a parking spot only to get into the IDES building in order to join a new line of people to the information counter.
Wow! God has blessed me.
It's a walk up line to talk to a rather nice gent ... but everyone in line gets to hear your dirty laundry. There's no privacy! You might as well turn around and talk to the crowd. I actually began to pray for people that I saw standing there in that line. We don't want to listen to your junk ... but we are all looking for clues on how fast the line is moving because there is only 1 guy answering questions. I wanted to add a few more people to handle questions out of the line in which we were standing. So what, if they answered wrong! Just smile and say you care. Take our forms and put them in that big black box o'forms.
Some of these poor folks are talking about losing their homes. I just got in this line. It clearly isn't a good line to be in. Folks, hit your knees tonight and thank the Lord for what you have, then find someone to else pray for and help. This could be you or me in no time and I want to be very mindful of THAT during this process.
Anyway, on a lighter note, ... after I was done and had killed off the better part of the day ... I actually thought about getting back in that line one more time to get back up and tell the guy that I was ready to go now but that I just needed to get his cell number so I could call him 2-3 times a day to see if my job was here yet. I thought if I said it loud enough ... I might get everyone in the room to at least have a good laugh. Can't ya just hear me? "C'MON Dude, be a guy, I need your number!"
NikonSniper Steve

6 comments:

child of God said...

Thanks for the update Steve.

Lol, you sound like my husband, jump the curb to park on the grass. :)

Praying for you and praying for others too!
<><

Judy said...

God bless you, and thanks for sharing the experience. Prayer seems better when there are details to add.

Lynda said...

Bless your heart - - - an experience you never thought you would have to endure. There are consolations but the greatest one to me is that nothing happens but what God allows it. Remember in the Book of Job that Satan had to ask God's permission before he could test Job. - - - - And you may have to remind me of that one day, too.
We will pray for clarity for each step you are to take in knowing God's direction. So sorry you are going through this. As I think I already told you, it was very hard to see my husband have to job seek when he never intended to in '92.

Don and Krise said...

Boy, talk about flashbacks! Many years ago I had to give up half a day for the same reason and you are right about listening to everyone's story while in line. I guess I was fortunate that day though. A friend of mine ended up in line at the very time I did, so we were able to kill some time comparing stories until Mr "never smiles guy" called me up. NOT a place I want to hang out on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

And till now - who did the unemployed in that line have to pray for them? Weird ministry, and I know you're not happy to be going through this, but praying God reveals to you the reason. :)
Blessings and God's provision my friend.

Ruth said...

Prayer is a powerful perspective adjuster. I remember being terribly worried about having an uninsured baby. During this time our church collected donations for the "boat people" that landed in Seattle. A baby was born onboard and they had no clothes for the baby. I donated a grocery bag full of clothes and a baby blanket. I was having child #4 and had enough and to spare. Thanks for your post today. It helped me remember a very blessed moment in my life. Keep praying, you are making a difference.
Ruth